There’s no doubt about it — moving is a lot of work. You’re not just packing your belongings and taking them to a new place, you’re changing your life in a significant way. The upheaval that a move brings can be trying enough for anyone, let alone all the work and preparation that has to go into the act of moving. That’s a big part of the reason why many people choose to hire professional movers to help them. Beyond that, however, there still are some steps you can take to make the moving process easier and less stressful.
Here are just a handful of ways you can cut down on stress during your move:
1. Pack room by room and keep boxes organized (based on where they go) with labels. This will save you time after you get to your new home and help streamline the moving process.
2. Wrap fragile, breakable items in clothing to save packing space and money spent on bubble wrap. Packing materials can be a big chunk of your moving expenses, but you can jury-rig a solution for protecting some of your fragile items if you’re willing to be creative.
3. Show up to the new home and pre-clean the rooms you’ll be unpacking first: kitchen, bathroom, or bedrooms. When you take the time before your move to prep the most important rooms in your new home, that’s one less task you’ll have to worry about on move-in day.
4. Know what you can’t pack, and which items should be left to a moving company or professionals. Trying to handle these fragile or bulky items yourself can just lead to frustration and wasted time. Professional moving companies have seen it all, so they know exactly how to handle just about anything.
5. Stretch wrap can be used to seal boxes, secure full dressers and for many other purposes. It’s better than tape in a lot of cases because it won’t leave adhesive and you’ll likely have more than enough to wrap everything.
6. Take a photo of how your electronics are connected in your old home so they can be reconnected the same way in the new location. Plugging in electronics can be one of the most frustrating and time-consuming parts of moving into another home, but this can make everything much easier for the tech-averse.
7. Reduce the volume of what you’ll be packing by going through the items you’ve collected over the years but never or rarely use. These items can be discarded or donated.
8. If you have kids or pets, arrange for someone to watch them while the move is taking place. This is for their own safety, as well as your peace of mind.
9. If you need to patch small holes in walls of your old location, a bar of soap can be used like drywall putty. Just rub it over the spot until the holes are filled.
10. Know when to call in the professionals — once you’ve organized your items, a professional moving service can save time and money. This is perhaps the best way to make the moving day experience as seamless as possible.
Keep these tips in mind when planning your next move, and the process should go a lot smoother. Hiring Ward North American to handle your next residential move is a surefire way to help you have an easy and stress-free moving day. Contact us today for your quote.